Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Day 3: Book That Makes You Laugh Out Loud

Again, this was a difficult book to choose. I rarely laugh while reading books, at least out loud. I know I have laughed during books such as Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, but I probably will choose those books later on. So I picked my favorite book of poems:

"Where The Sidewalk Ends" by Shel Silverstein.

Where the Sidewalk Ends, by Shel Silverstein, is a collection of poems and accompanying illustrations targeted specifically for children. First published in 1974, Silverstein's poems have preserved their humor and relevance through generations of very different childhoods. Silverstein manages to successful twist playful and imaginative writing with wit and truth to create an amusing and highly engaging anthology of poems and illustrations that both make a reader laugh and think.

     This book of poetry contains my absolute favorite poem, "Ickle Me, Pickle Me, Tickle Me Too." I had to memorize it during 7th grade, and I still can.


"Ickle Me, Pickle Me, Tickle Me too
Went for a ride in a flying shoe.
"Hooray!"
"What fun!"
"It's time we flew!"
Said Ickle Me, Pickle Me, Tickle Me too.

Ickle was captain, and Pickle was crew
And Tickle served coffee and mulligan stew
As higher
And higher
And higher they flew,
Ickle Me, Pickle Me, Tickle Me too.

Ickle Me, Pickle Me, Tickle Me too,
Over the sun and beyond the blue.
"Hold on!"
"Stay in!"
"I hope we do!"
Cried Ickle Me, Pickle Me, Tickle Me too.

Ickle Me, Pickle Me, Tickle too
Never returned to the world they knew,
And nobody
Knows what's
Happened to
Dear Ickle Me, Pickle Me, Tickle Me too."

     I love all of Shel Silverstein's poetry, and they always can make me laugh!

=)

1 comment: